Sunday 5 July 2015

To Me My Minions!

Hello and welcome to Hastur's Hamster, the home of the Great Old One's pet (yeah he doesn't like to talk about it).

This blog is spinning off my RPG related posts away from Shores of Night (my main blog). I'm going to be writing in a similar vein to my pieces there, about group dynamics, the way that games set out to achieve their aims and about my quest to find a new gaming group. 

I'll also put up some 'one sheet' pieces, where I try to give a quick overview of campaign ideas that can be taken and used by anyone. This could be anything from a setting inspired by a mixture of Global Frequency and Future Foundation (where the characters are busy fighting the threats that might arise from Science! in an increasingly unstable world), or something that's part Pern, part Neolithic Society/stone age and part post apocalypse where squatter civilisations are guided by the voices of AIs, and techno shamans follow rituals they barely understand to commune with their 'gods'. In addition to that I'll post links to Sharoban, my fantasy setting which is long overdue being taken out of its mothballs, and to an as yet unnamed Supers setting which is all about corporate heroes and tries to apply some real world stuff to the genre (more 'you'll be burned out in ten years unless you want experimental cyborg kneecaps' than 'Superman couldn't catch Lois Lane because he'd turn her into chunky salsa').

Coming up you can look forward to, if that's the right way of putting it, some pieces about the player's role; how do we define it, and is 'don't be a dick' enough of a mantra for good play? I'll also be looking at the question of how ambitious games should be, is it wise to plan for a multi year epic or should short, tight plotting be the norm?

I hope you'll join me. 

Now... I'm just going to for a run on my wheel and cause the doom of an alien civilisation. 

Cheers

No comments:

Post a Comment