Monday 31 August 2015

RPGaDay 21: Favourite Gaming Setting


Image result for Unknown Armies

Wow, another hard one.

I think that when I have to think it through, this could be a lot of games, L5R, Warhammer Fantasy, the World of Darkness in general. That being said, I think my favourite setting at the moment is the Unknown Armies one, even though I've only read the game, not played it.

What I like is the absence of things outside of humanity; even vampires are myth in comparison to the various cabals and general weirdness that populates the game. The humanistic element is important to me, as is the fact that magic, bluntly, fucks you up. It's also the only game I know that truly embraces the outsider without shoehorning them directly into a faction or club, which is nice if you want to run a game about people surviving on their own without being screwed over. World of Darkness is good at saying if you don't belong you'll struggle, even as it feeds the romance of being outside the system. UA doesn't do that, if anything it takes the view that you start at the outside, and that's your purest state; joining a club will inevitably cost you something.

No comments:

Post a Comment