Sunday 16 August 2015

RPGaDay 7: Favourite Free Game


 Image result for exalted 2nd edition

Today's RPGaDay is all about my favourite free RPG, which proves somewhat problematic because I don't know what I got for free and what I paid for a lot of the time.

In the end I've gone for something I know I got as part of an offer at DrivethruRPG, when Onyx Path were doing a promotion one January and giving away a free game everyday for a week. Rather than tread the traditional boards of the World of Darkness, mostly because I'll be coming back to that later on, I'm going to go for Exalted 2nd edition.

My attraction is mostly to the setting. The world is so different to most fantasy worlds, it's rejection of Tolkien still feels like a breath of fresh air and the premise, to change Creation, is similarly exhilirating. The fact that it was originally meant to be the precursor to the World of Darkness actually makes it a bit more special, because I get to play fantasy historian and draw the dots between the splats.  I'm not a fan of the system, it feels like they made the heaviest, least intuitive system possible; it just isn't light enough to support the game's style and I really hope the new version has a better.

No comments:

Post a Comment